Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Let Me Linger (a poem)

Let me linger here.
Let me stay a little longer.
I feel the world spinning on, time passing like an afternoon breeze.
Let me memorize you, searing the moment into my mind.
Altogether too soon, you'll be gone from me.
What is fresh now will dim so quickly,
once this time has passed.
Let me linger here.
Let me touch your face, you heart, one last time.
I let you in, I let you change a part of my life,
Your voice impacts me still.
You inspire me and torment me to grow.
But it's time you left, I cannot keep you here.
Time withers beyond my grasp.
Were you mine I could beg you to stay with me.
But the spark you shared with me is not meant for me alone.
How I wish I could be safe, always,
here, with you by my side.
Let me linger where you are.
Let me breathe in your presence.
I see everything you've done for me, for others.
I've watched you in admiration as you selflessly gave.
Do you not see how precious you are?
Why I name you of so much worth?
Your uniqueness draws me to you.
Your gentleness combined with strength sets you apart.
What I would give to ensure you remain,
keeping you close enough to hold.
But even now you're not that near.
You came close enough to touch me,
yet when I reach out to pull you in, you're far away.
Comet among the stars, here for a time, then gone.
If I cannot make you stay, though I wish you would stay,
I ought to muster the courage to ask you to return.
But before you leave,
Let me linger.
Feel your touch once again,
Hear your music one last time.
I will not cling to you,
I will not keep you beside me,
I will not demand your loyalty only to me,
only let me see your face once more.
Let me linger,
in joy, in peace.
Let me smile,
laugh, dance.
One more time.
I shall try to only let the tears come
once you're gone from view.
But please, don't walk away so fast.
Don't push me away.
Don't keep me at a distance.
Don't hurt me like others have before.
You have proven yourself different, better.
You rely on the God I love.
That is why I hold you so precious.
I have seen the Spirit guide you.
The Spirit that I pursue.
A tiny portion, like a puzzle piece, within you,
I have seen it, and I have loved it.
Yet your time here is drawing to a close.
Go, show the world what I have seen in you.
But I am human, and remain wanting more.
So I ask for a little bit more for myself before the end.
Please, while you're here,
let me linger.

No comments:

Post a Comment